Art Walk

A lot of social media posts are about the successes, the highlights and awards. This will not be one of those. In the art world there are also failures. Art Walk in Depere was one of those failures. I was excited to try one of these as I've never done one before. I knew I did not need to bring a lot of big art so I loaded up a couple tables, print racks, a bunch of prints, some books and a couple large framed pieces.

The weather was almost perfect and the business I was partnered with had a nice little grassy area for me to set up. When I called the owner a few days before she said turnout was so good for the June 3 Art Walk that I might want to be setup before the official start time of 4:00.

She also voiced concerns that Friday July 1 would be the start of the July 4 holiday weekend. She thought that might affect turnout but was optimistic based on the great turnout on June 3. I got setup early at 3:30 and was anxious.

It turned out she was completely right. The turnout was abysmal. I maybe had 10 people visit me in 4.5 hours. It was a complete scheduling mistake, both on the organizers of the event and myself. For art shows to succeed picking the right day(s) is absolutely crucial and this may have been the worst Friday of the summer to pick. I packed up just before 8:00 and headed home. The entry fee was only $10 so I was not out a lot of money but it was a hard learned lesson. I love the idea behind these but will have to definitely keep my eye on the calendar if I choose another one to do...

I now look ahead to the massive Art in the Park in Appleton on July 23-24. I know that one will be a success!


Comments