Art at the Park Wrap Up

My first year at Art at the Park started bad but turned out to be my most successful show ever! I was caught a little off guard by some early morning rain on Saturday and as a result had water damage to multiple framed prints (I ended up throwing out 3 prints). Not a good start! Once the rain stopped sales started coming in pretty steady in the afternoon.


Saturday's highlight was the sale of two large framed mannequin prints (above) to a woman who loved mannequins more than I do...she purchased a smaller one and returned about an hour later to get these "pair of ladies" for her new apartment. I also sold several copies of my new book which was great. By the end of the day I had the single best day of sales ever...until Sunday.

Sunday's weather was beautiful and the traffic was even better than Saturday. My biggest surprise was the sale of a large framed print of "Rainy Window". Like the mannequins from Saturday this customer returned after looking at some of my smaller prints. He made a great choice, but it was sad to see that one go as it was a piece that had many people stopping to comment and look it.
 

I moved some framed pieces around and ended up selling another large framed print that I had never brought to a show before. It was a collage of 4 prints featuring utility meters. I moved it to the front and it sold in less than 10 minutes! Like the day before I sold 4 copies of my book...including one sale to a couple from Texas visiting for EAA. I sold more mannequin prints to two more people...I would have never guessed those would have been so popular!

Many prints sold and by the end of the day I was well ahead of Saturday's total. Usually my nature prints do pretty well but my street and architecture work was by far the big hit. I think what helped me a lot was that I was a local Appleton artist who had lots of pieces from Appleton. With so many other artists from other parts of the state and even the country (Kansas, North and South Dakota, and even Florida) my work really appealed to people from the area.
 

Overall it was just an awesome experience and I had the chance to talk with lots of great people. My extremely large, triple-matted framed print of "Follow the Leader" drew lots of comments and started some good discussions. I even saw my high school English teacher from my sophomore year! He is also a photographer and it was great to see him.

The next show I'm doing is Octoberfest on College Av in Appleton on Sept. 25. Hope to see you there!





Comments